New youth club opens its doors in Stretham after £95,000 refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
A new-look Stretham Youth Club opened its doors to young people from across East Cambridgeshire last week.
Following refurbishment costing nearly £95,000, the young people and trustees of the charity, sited in a dilapidated former Victorian school, held a launch event, attended by the project’s generous funders, East Cambridgeshire District Council, the Stretham Charity and Amey Cespa.
The Stretham-based contractors for the project, BSV Construction, and organisations interested in hiring the new space to run young people’s projects also attended.
Chair Janet Parish, who has chaired the charity for 20 years, said: “It was a great event, planned and run by the young people themselves. We are all very proud of what has been achieved here after many years in the making.”
The charity now plans to open up use of the building to young people right across East Cambridgeshire to meet a gap left by the closure of many local youth clubs.
You may also want to watch:
Janet added: “Now it is complete, we want to attract young people from right across East Cambridgeshire including young people with disabilities to come to new youth club nights and summer programmes of activities.”
If you would like to know more about taking part in young people’s activities, hiring the venue or donating funds to the charity to expand its range of youth projects, contact Janet Parish on 01353 649575 or e-mail email@example.com
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 3 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 9 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 10 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire