New ‘welcome pack’ will give a boost to retailers opening their doors in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A ‘welcome pack’ has been created to help independent retailers setting up shop in Ely.
The idea came from a series of visits made to retailers by members and officers from East Cambridgeshire District Council last year to gain an insight into what they thought of Ely.
The meetings sparked a host of ideas with one put forward by the owners of Yarn on the Square – Ginette Heard and Christine Brown – leading to the welcome packs.
They suggested that when they first opened their store in Ely it would have been useful to have had a reference manual of some kind to provide information on the city.
Tracey Harding, the council’s tourism and town centres team leader, said: “We know how important it is for the beating heart of Ely to be strong and vibrant. Not only does it give the residents a great range of choice but it acts as a magnet for visitors to come and spend their money.
“The welcome pack is the first of many initiatives which we are going to introduce over the next few weeks and months with the aim of creating a city centre we can be proud of.”
Mrs Heard said: “When we opened, it was not always easy to get the information needed and we were not always sure of who to ask even obvious questions.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 9 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
“It would have been useful to have a little more knowledge of how the city centre worked and the support which was there.”
Tracy Allgood, from newly opened Allgoods of Ely, has welcomed the new packs.
She said: “As a fledging retailer, time seems to fly by as your life is taken over by your drive to see your ideas succeed. This welcome pack puts in your hands all the details, contacts and numbers you need in one place.”
For more information call 01353 665555 or visit the website at www.eastcambs.gov.uk