New ‘welcome pack’ will give a boost to retailers opening their doors in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A ‘welcome pack’ has been created to help independent retailers setting up shop in Ely.
The idea came from a series of visits made to retailers by members and officers from East Cambridgeshire District Council last year to gain an insight into what they thought of Ely.
The meetings sparked a host of ideas with one put forward by the owners of Yarn on the Square – Ginette Heard and Christine Brown – leading to the welcome packs.
They suggested that when they first opened their store in Ely it would have been useful to have had a reference manual of some kind to provide information on the city.
Tracey Harding, the council’s tourism and town centres team leader, said: “We know how important it is for the beating heart of Ely to be strong and vibrant. Not only does it give the residents a great range of choice but it acts as a magnet for visitors to come and spend their money.
You may also want to watch:
“The welcome pack is the first of many initiatives which we are going to introduce over the next few weeks and months with the aim of creating a city centre we can be proud of.”
Mrs Heard said: “When we opened, it was not always easy to get the information needed and we were not always sure of who to ask even obvious questions.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 3 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 4 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 5 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 7 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 8 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 9 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 10 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
“It would have been useful to have a little more knowledge of how the city centre worked and the support which was there.”
Tracy Allgood, from newly opened Allgoods of Ely, has welcomed the new packs.
She said: “As a fledging retailer, time seems to fly by as your life is taken over by your drive to see your ideas succeed. This welcome pack puts in your hands all the details, contacts and numbers you need in one place.”
For more information call 01353 665555 or visit the website at www.eastcambs.gov.uk