New stained glass exhibition at the museum at Ely Cathedral
DEBORA Coombs will be exhibiting Menfolk a series of richly painted stained glass panels at The Stained Glass Museum at Ely Cathedral. The exhibition will run from January 2 until February 14. She said: The series of work explores maleness at various age
DEBORA Coombs will be exhibiting Menfolk a series of richly painted stained glass panels at The Stained Glass Museum at Ely Cathedral.
The exhibition will run from January 2 until February 14.
She said: "The series of work explores maleness at various ages, and in different emotional landscapes. It grew from a desire to explore images of people that spoke to me in some way.
"Combining drawings and photographs of my own family with those of strangers I discovered some interesting relationships.
You may also want to watch:
"I hand painted people and patterns onto pieces of coloured glass to form a mosaic. Fixed together with strips of soldered lead in the traditional manner these Menfolk are now preserved in stained glass; together forever.
"Part of the allure for me is working with the real substance of glass and paint. The process feeds my need to make things.
- 1 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 2 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 3 Student defies challenges of pandemic to achieve first class degree
- 4 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 5 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 6 Alcohol shoplifter threatened security staff with large blade
- 7 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 8 London man jailed for running drugs line between Cambs and capital
- 9 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 10 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
"Sensual and tactile; craftsmanship is absorbing, technically challenging, and pleasurable. Making provides a perfect counterpoint to thinking."
Debora's stained glass has been exhibited in Europe, Australia, Asia and the USA and is held in the permanent collection of the Stained Glass Museum at Ely Cathedral.