New sports facility is a hit with youngsters
- Credit: Archant
The new sports pitches at Ely Beet Club have proven to be a hit with youngsters this summer.
The £25,000 facility, in Lynn Road, has an all-weather tarmac surface marked out for a variety of sports, alongside a full-size tennis court.
Builders completed work in April and it has already seen plenty of use, with youth football teams quick to move in for training sessions.
The youth club, Beet Buddies, also uses the facility at its regular meetings.
Funding for the project came from the Veolia Environmental Trust, which awarded a grant of £24,235 through the Landfill Communities Fund.
You may also want to watch:
Jo Pearson, from the Beet Club, said: “We are delighted that it is already being used on a regular basis and would welcome more community groups hiring the facility. “Our youth club has gained in numbers since the introduction of the facility, as many of the members enjoy the outside facility which is within a safe environment. We cannot thank the Veolia Environmental Trust enough for funding this project.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?