New Soham Town Team enlists the help of Mr Pumpkin to make Soham Pumpkin Fair ‘the talk of the town’
- Credit: Archant
The sight of a giant pumpkin wandering the streets of Soham can only mean one thing – the Soham Pumpkin Fair is just around the corner.
Mark Williams, otherwise known as Mr Pumpkin, has been spotted out and about in the town promoting the annual event which takes place at the Recreation Ground on Saturday September 25.
The Pumpkin Fair Chairman has been spreading the word to residents as part of the new Soham Town Team’s initiative to boost the reputation of the town as a fun and attractive place to visit.
Thousands of visitors flock to Soham every year for the festival, which is one of only six pumpkin fairs left in the UK.
The fair raises thousands of pounds for charity, and the Town Team is hoping for another successful year by inviting shops and businesses to dress their windows in an autumnal style in keeping with the fair.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Carol Sennitt, chairman of Soham Town Team said: “The team will be working hard to encourage their fellow shopkeepers to put their creative hats on and make this launch event the talk of the town.”
As well as the usual giant pumpkin competition, which features squashes weighing up to whopping 300kg, this year’s event will include a fancy dress competition in the theme of Beatrix Potter, ferret racing and animals from the South Angle Farm.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
For more information, visit www.sohampumpkinfair.co.uk.