New plans entered for historic windmill
- Credit: Archant
A historic windmill in Little Downham is set to get a new lease of life as the central feature of an impressive new development.
The Grade II listed Cornwell’s Mill, in Ely Road, was built in the mid 19th Century but is in a poor state of repair, long since past its working days, with no sails, windows or cap.
Plans have been submitted to East Cambridgeshire District Council by Mr and Mrs H Martin, of Wicken, who hope to transform it into part of a residential development.
The plans include designs for an environmentally friendly family house linked to the mill and a second smaller house also on the site.
There will also be a small stable yard and fenced riding area.
You may also want to watch:
In their submission to the council, architects Freemar Brear said: “The top of the mill has been lost so it is proposed that the top edge of the masonry is altered to allow the creation of a viewing area associated with an internal mezzanine, which will offer views to the south, framing Ely Cathedral.
“The brickwork walls of the mill will be repaired and re-pointed, and the surface will be re-?nished in a tarred paint to replicate the original ?nish.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
Architects added that a flour-dressing machine had been discovered inside the mill, which would be removed and restored before taking up a new home at Burwell Mill, which is has also undergone a recent renovation.