Papworth Hospital jumps into future with new build and £40m investment programme – watch live as the building rises from the ground
- Credit: Archant
The new Papworth Hospital is set for completion in September next year and you can follow the £165million building process from the comfort of your own home.
Papworth Hospital will move to a new, state-of-the-art hospital on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus – a virtual video tour has been released to give you an idea of what to expect.
The trust has approved a £40m investment programme to provide equipment and infrastructure for the new hospital – some of the highlights include:
• A pharmacy robot which provides an ultra-efficient storage and retrieval system for medicines
• A new self check-in system for outpatients and a room and hot desk booking system for staff
• Five state-of- the-art operating theatres, five catheter laboratories and two hybrid theatres (for extremely complex cardiology and surgical procedures)
• Two new CT scanning systems, able to provide 4D imaging while reducing radioactivity exposure and contrast media dose and improving image quality
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 9 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
• Two MRI scanners, one 1.5T and one 3T delivering the full range of cardiac imaging
• Three Siemens Ysio Max X-ray systems able to perform a wide range of radiological examinations
Stephen Posey, chief executive of the Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, said: “This investment demonstrates our absolute commitment to equipping the new hospital with the latest medical and IT equipment and supporting our staff to deliver the best possible service to patients.
“I have no doubt that will make our new hospital one of the best-equipped in the UK, helping us to continue to build our reputation as a world-leading cardiothoracic hospital.”
Leicester based production company, Reach Timelapse, have set up a live webcam for people to view the build progress – it’s been taking stills every hour, every working day since building began in June of 2015.
A hospital spokesman said: “Our move to the new site is the next chapter in our story. It is our chance to keep making history and continue pioneering new treatments that save lives across the world.”
The site has already had a royal visit when the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester came to see the progress being made.
An architect by trade, the duke was particularly keen to learn about the architectural design of the hospital and the lead architect for the project- they are set to return on opening day.
Six years ago this Christmas the current hospital also had a royal visitor when the Duke of Edinburgh received treatment for a blocked coronary artery.
He was taken to Papworth from Sandringham where the Royal Family had been spending the holiday period.