New operator for Maltings restaurant in Ely to be appointed
- Credit: Archant
NEGOTIATIONS are taking place to secure a new operator for the Malting’s restaurant in Ely, it was confirmed this week.
The restaurant’s current operator, Compass Group, has come under fire for closing the facility during the winter months, with residents complaining that a key facility is being under utilised for half of the year.
At the turn of this year, East Cambridgeshire District Council decided to re-tender for a new operator to come in and take charge of the restaurant, which overlooks the River Great Ouse, and several candidates were shortlisted.
The council confirmed this week that a preferred candidate had been selected and final negotiations were taking place, with an announcement expected in the coming weeks.
A spokesman for the council said the authority hoped to make an announcement on the new operator “in the near future” but wouldn’t be drawn on whether the candidate was a local business.
You may also want to watch:
Compass Group will contain overseeing the day-to-day running of the Maltings, including use of its hall for weddings and functions. The company was awarded the contract following the refurbishment of the historic 19th Century building in March 2009.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face