New operator for Maltings restaurant in Ely to be appointed
- Credit: Archant
NEGOTIATIONS are taking place to secure a new operator for the Malting’s restaurant in Ely, it was confirmed this week.
The restaurant’s current operator, Compass Group, has come under fire for closing the facility during the winter months, with residents complaining that a key facility is being under utilised for half of the year.
At the turn of this year, East Cambridgeshire District Council decided to re-tender for a new operator to come in and take charge of the restaurant, which overlooks the River Great Ouse, and several candidates were shortlisted.
The council confirmed this week that a preferred candidate had been selected and final negotiations were taking place, with an announcement expected in the coming weeks.
A spokesman for the council said the authority hoped to make an announcement on the new operator “in the near future” but wouldn’t be drawn on whether the candidate was a local business.
Compass Group will contain overseeing the day-to-day running of the Maltings, including use of its hall for weddings and functions. The company was awarded the contract following the refurbishment of the historic 19th Century building in March 2009.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say
- 10 Rough sleeping injunctions are ‘positive’ say council