New name announced for village bus service
- Credit: Archant
A name has been announced for the new hourly bus service linking Haddenham and Wilburton with Ely, which is set to be launched in November.
The new service, which will replace the current 106 bus service, will be known as the Ely Zipper – or as the ZIP for short.
The Ely Standard launched a competition at the start of the month for readers to come up with a name for the bus service and we received a range of interesting suggestions.
The winning suggestions, as judged by councillors Anna Bailuy and Bill Hunt, came from Sutton resident, Britni-May Edwards, 21.
As well as Haddenham and Wilburton, the ZIP will serve Witcham and Stretham and the timetable has been adjusted to suit people travelling into Ely to work – as well as those hoping to catch a bus into Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
As ever, the service will also help get people into the city on market days and could also stop at Ely railway station.
The service has been the brainchild of councillors Anna Bailey and Bill Hunt.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 9 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Support from Cambridgeshire County Council for the proposed new service is for an initial period of three years – after which it will be reviewed.
Bethany Carey suggested TOP, ACE, GEM or KEY.
Mrs D Setchell suggested FLO.
Ruth Shaw suggested WIZ.
Helen Dewey suggested OUR.
Ann Toulmin suggested ONE.
David Goddard suggested TGR.
Terry Stocks suggested Fenland Connection.
Caroline and Benjamin Ball suggested SOC.
Sarah Skillen suggested EEL.