New name announced for village bus service
- Credit: Archant
A name has been announced for the new hourly bus service linking Haddenham and Wilburton with Ely, which is set to be launched in November.
The new service, which will replace the current 106 bus service, will be known as the Ely Zipper – or as the ZIP for short.
The Ely Standard launched a competition at the start of the month for readers to come up with a name for the bus service and we received a range of interesting suggestions.
The winning suggestions, as judged by councillors Anna Bailuy and Bill Hunt, came from Sutton resident, Britni-May Edwards, 21.
As well as Haddenham and Wilburton, the ZIP will serve Witcham and Stretham and the timetable has been adjusted to suit people travelling into Ely to work – as well as those hoping to catch a bus into Cambridge.
As ever, the service will also help get people into the city on market days and could also stop at Ely railway station.
The service has been the brainchild of councillors Anna Bailey and Bill Hunt.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 6 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 7 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
Support from Cambridgeshire County Council for the proposed new service is for an initial period of three years – after which it will be reviewed.
Bethany Carey suggested TOP, ACE, GEM or KEY.
Mrs D Setchell suggested FLO.
Ruth Shaw suggested WIZ.
Helen Dewey suggested OUR.
Ann Toulmin suggested ONE.
David Goddard suggested TGR.
Terry Stocks suggested Fenland Connection.
Caroline and Benjamin Ball suggested SOC.
Sarah Skillen suggested EEL.