New Look in Ely High Street to close next month - and readers are not impressed
- Credit: Archant
Popular fashion store New Look has announced it will close in Ely High Street next month – to the dismay of readers.
The shop will be one of 60 stores to close across the UK following plans to restructure to make the chain “more profitable”.
Residents took to our social media page to express their upset and concern of the area becoming a “ghost town”.
A spokesperson confirmed that New Look Ely branch will close on November 19.
It comes amid fears that Ely High Street is losing shoppers with the closure of Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shop and The Yarn Room.
On the Ely Standard Facebook, Kayleigh Smith said: “I am actually gutted about this! I’ve always relied upon this shop in the moment of “I’ve got nothing to wear tonight” Now what are we left with?”
Rachel Crout said: “Another Ely high street store closing.... be like a ghost town soon....”
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
Saud Ben-Saud said: “Making room for another charity shop. Time to wake up and cut rates for struggling businesses.”
Philip Eden said: “It all started with Tesco moving to Angel Drove, but Ely is not alone! All high streets are struggling as we spend less, shop online and sadly use supermarkets for just about everything!”
Victoria Sumpter said: “God forbid we get another charity shop!!! No wonder all the shops are going with the rent prices - people moan about lack of high street shops but where is the help for them.”
The post was shared more than 30 times with dozens tagging friends in the post.
In recent months City of Ely councillors launched a survey for business owners to see what could be done to improve flagging footfall.
A hike in rent prices has also been claimed in driving shops out of the High Street.
A spokesperson for New Look said: “I can confirm our store in Ely is due to close and last day of trade will be November 19.
In March this year New Look announced 60 stores across the UK were to close and a potential 980 redundancies could happen.
The shop is known for its women’s clothes, childrenswear and shoes.
The clothing store also closed its branch in nearby Huntingdon in July this year, with the St Ives branch shutting its doors two weeks ago.