‘Just get on with it!’ - Residents react to Lidl's east Cambs store plans
- Credit: PA
Residents in east Cambridgeshire are calling out for a new discount supermarket after Lidl announced plans to branch out across the county.
The discounters have earmarked locations in Ely and Soham, as well as Newmarket and Cambridge, amid plans to build 1,000 new stores.
Following our report yesterday, residents have got in touch are calling for Ely and the surrounding area to “modernise” in a bid to “attract custom”.
“Maybe a Lidl, B&M all up Angel Drove in Ely, just off the new bypass like some plans have already shown, just get on with it,” said one eager resident.
Another said: “Lidl, B&M and Home Bargains, we need them all so we don't have to travel so far.
“Come on Ely, modernise yourself up and attract custom... people will always travel miles to see the cathedral before anyone moans.”
You may also want to watch:
One Soham resident said: “[Lidl] would be great in Soham, you can’t always get what you want in Asda all the time.”
The news of Lidl’s expansion across East Anglia comes after its direct rival, Aldi, announced a whole host of new stores across the region.
- 1 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 2 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 3 Sutton couple mark seven decades of marriage
- 4 Town considers home for market
- 5 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 6 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 7 Skate park campaigners hope Olympic glory works in their favour
- 8 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 Plea to council to halt £6.5m crematorium plan
One Ely resident said it would “be nice to have both”. “We’ve been trying to get to an Ely Lidl for years, they kept getting rejected but Aldi got in.”
What do you think? Would east Cambridgeshire benefit from a new Lidl supermarket? Does the region have to “modernise” itself? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org