New leaders appointed at East Cambridgeshire District Council
- Credit: Archant
It’s all change at East Cambridgeshire District Council.
Following the council’s annual meeting, Councillor Charles Roberts has been named as leader of the council, following the departure of James Palmer, who was elected mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough earlier this month.
County councillor Anna Bailey will be his deputy.
Councillor Roberts, who was deputy leader for four years alongside Mayor Palmer, has been acting in place of the leader since the mayoral election result on May 5.
Chief executive of East Cambridgeshire District Council, John Hill, said: “The appointment choosing Charles Roberts as leader and Anna Bailey as deputy leader, means that the council can continue with business as usual.”
The annual council meeting, held last night (25), also appointed the new chairman and vice-chairman of the council. Councillor Peter Cresswell, who was previously vice-chairman for the 2016/2017 term, takes over from councillor Michael Allan.
Councillor Lis Every has been selected to support councillor Cresswell as the new vice-chairman.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 3 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 7 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 8 Army assault course brought back to former glory at Waterbeach Barracks
- 9 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 10 Council has extra £18m in the kitty because of Covid
• A by-election will be held for the Soham North Ward constituency on Thursday June 22. More information can be found on the East Cambridgeshire District Council website.