New leaders appointed at East Cambridgeshire District Council
- Credit: Archant
It’s all change at East Cambridgeshire District Council.
Following the council’s annual meeting, Councillor Charles Roberts has been named as leader of the council, following the departure of James Palmer, who was elected mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough earlier this month.
County councillor Anna Bailey will be his deputy.
Councillor Roberts, who was deputy leader for four years alongside Mayor Palmer, has been acting in place of the leader since the mayoral election result on May 5.
Chief executive of East Cambridgeshire District Council, John Hill, said: “The appointment choosing Charles Roberts as leader and Anna Bailey as deputy leader, means that the council can continue with business as usual.”
The annual council meeting, held last night (25), also appointed the new chairman and vice-chairman of the council. Councillor Peter Cresswell, who was previously vice-chairman for the 2016/2017 term, takes over from councillor Michael Allan.
Councillor Lis Every has been selected to support councillor Cresswell as the new vice-chairman.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Petition launched to save village pub
- 5 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
• A by-election will be held for the Soham North Ward constituency on Thursday June 22. More information can be found on the East Cambridgeshire District Council website.