New leaders appointed at East Cambridgeshire District Council
- Credit: Archant
It’s all change at East Cambridgeshire District Council.
Following the council’s annual meeting, Councillor Charles Roberts has been named as leader of the council, following the departure of James Palmer, who was elected mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough earlier this month.
County councillor Anna Bailey will be his deputy.
Councillor Roberts, who was deputy leader for four years alongside Mayor Palmer, has been acting in place of the leader since the mayoral election result on May 5.
Chief executive of East Cambridgeshire District Council, John Hill, said: “The appointment choosing Charles Roberts as leader and Anna Bailey as deputy leader, means that the council can continue with business as usual.”
You may also want to watch:
The annual council meeting, held last night (25), also appointed the new chairman and vice-chairman of the council. Councillor Peter Cresswell, who was previously vice-chairman for the 2016/2017 term, takes over from councillor Michael Allan.
Councillor Lis Every has been selected to support councillor Cresswell as the new vice-chairman.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
• A by-election will be held for the Soham North Ward constituency on Thursday June 22. More information can be found on the East Cambridgeshire District Council website.