New heads of school and houses, deputies and prefects appointed at King’s Ely
- Credit: Archant
Oliver Hutchinson and Paige Grey have been named as the new heads of school at King’s Ely.
Hundreds of people gathered inside Ely Cathedral yesterday for the school’s Beginning of Year Service, which sees the incoming heads of school being robed in prefects’ gowns.
The new heads of school then robe the deputy heads of school, after which all then assist in robing the other prefects.
Paige, 17, joined King’s Ely Acremont but left to study in South Africa for four years. She returned to King’s in Year 7 and has been at the school since.
She said: “I feel honoured to be given the opportunity of taking on a role of such great leadership and responsibility within the school and I look forward to all that it entails this coming year.”
You may also want to watch:
Oliver has been at King’s since joining King’s Ely Junior in Year 5.
He said: “I am delighted to be appointed head of sSchool this year and look forward to giving back to the school that has served me so well through my education.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 5 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 6 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
This year’s deputy heads of school are Eugenia Tsang, Olivia Rosenberg, Robert Dunlop Brown and Thomas Keeling.
Meanwhile William Black, Kitty Bowles, Sebastian Carberry, Angela Chen, Jacky Chow, Lucy Coghlan, Rosie McGrath, Margaret Mwangola, Tom Scott, Sophie Wood, William Young and Bill Zhao were made prefects.
The Beginning of Year Service also saw heads of houses for both King’s Ely Junior and King’s Ely Senior being welcomed into their posts.
In King’s Ely Junior, Queen Emma is headed up by William Daniel and Olivia Jenkins; Queen Philippa is led by Calum MacDonald; Philippa is led by Nia Baird; Saunders is headed up by Alice Wallace and Ben Collier; and Goodwin is led by Edward Spencer and Isabel Mitchell.
In King’s Ely Senior, Ekaterina Baricheva is head of house for Hill; Andrew Hutton for Hereward; Sebastian Carberry for Osmond; Sam Stokes for Wilkinson; Thomas Keeling for School; Emma Goff for Torfrida; Margaret Mwangola and Zoe Whelan for Etheldreda and Maddy De Brugha for Withburga.
King’s Ely was founded in 970 A.D., making it one of the oldest schools in the world, though it was given its Royal Charter by King Henry VIII in 1541.