New heads of school and houses, deputies and prefects appointed at King’s Ely
- Credit: Archant
Oliver Hutchinson and Paige Grey have been named as the new heads of school at King’s Ely.
Hundreds of people gathered inside Ely Cathedral yesterday for the school’s Beginning of Year Service, which sees the incoming heads of school being robed in prefects’ gowns.
The new heads of school then robe the deputy heads of school, after which all then assist in robing the other prefects.
Paige, 17, joined King’s Ely Acremont but left to study in South Africa for four years. She returned to King’s in Year 7 and has been at the school since.
She said: “I feel honoured to be given the opportunity of taking on a role of such great leadership and responsibility within the school and I look forward to all that it entails this coming year.”
Oliver has been at King’s since joining King’s Ely Junior in Year 5.
He said: “I am delighted to be appointed head of sSchool this year and look forward to giving back to the school that has served me so well through my education.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 5 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 9 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 10 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
This year’s deputy heads of school are Eugenia Tsang, Olivia Rosenberg, Robert Dunlop Brown and Thomas Keeling.
Meanwhile William Black, Kitty Bowles, Sebastian Carberry, Angela Chen, Jacky Chow, Lucy Coghlan, Rosie McGrath, Margaret Mwangola, Tom Scott, Sophie Wood, William Young and Bill Zhao were made prefects.
The Beginning of Year Service also saw heads of houses for both King’s Ely Junior and King’s Ely Senior being welcomed into their posts.
In King’s Ely Junior, Queen Emma is headed up by William Daniel and Olivia Jenkins; Queen Philippa is led by Calum MacDonald; Philippa is led by Nia Baird; Saunders is headed up by Alice Wallace and Ben Collier; and Goodwin is led by Edward Spencer and Isabel Mitchell.
In King’s Ely Senior, Ekaterina Baricheva is head of house for Hill; Andrew Hutton for Hereward; Sebastian Carberry for Osmond; Sam Stokes for Wilkinson; Thomas Keeling for School; Emma Goff for Torfrida; Margaret Mwangola and Zoe Whelan for Etheldreda and Maddy De Brugha for Withburga.
King’s Ely was founded in 970 A.D., making it one of the oldest schools in the world, though it was given its Royal Charter by King Henry VIII in 1541.