New fire station set for unveiling
- Credit: Archant
Burwell’s new fire station will be officially opened on Monday.
The new on-call station is located in Reach Road, just a few hundred yards from the old station, and will be home to crews from Burwell and Swaffham Bulbeck.
The new station will also include purpose built on-site training building - currently not available at the existing stations - along with community facilities.
The station in Swaffham will close as part of the move.
Sir Peter Brown, chairman of the Cambridgeshire Fire Authority, and Graham Stagg, chief fire officer, will cut the ribbon.
You may also want to watch:
A swap agreement between the fire service and Cambridgeshire County Council was made to allow the new site to be used.
The work started in February and is expected to cost about £1 million.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 3 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 9 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 10 Elections 2021: Polling Day across Cambridgeshire
The construction work was carried out by SEH French and project managed by Ingleton Wood.
Sir Peter Brown, chairman of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Fire Authority, said: “This new station will be a significant improvement on the existing facilities we have in the area. Firefighters will be able to keep up their competences using the new on-site training building rather than travelling to another facility.
“It is a real positive that the service is able to continue to invest in new equipment for operational firefighers to ensure the residents of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough get the best service.”