Do you remember the old Megatron spaceship restaurant?
- Credit: HUNTS POST
Fans of the old Megatron restaurant in Alconbury are being urged to share their memories of the iconic flying saucer-shaped building.
Two Cambridgeshire filmmakers are passionate about keeping its memory alive with a documentary.
Tony Conn and Paul Satchell are on the lookout for enthusiasts, as well as members of staff and customers, of the building that opened in 1990 but was demolished less than 20 years later in 2008.
The brainchild of local businessman, Danny Blundell, the dream was for the Megraton to be first of a franchise.
Special effects experts installed innovative touchscreen computers for people to make their orders, while there were regular laser shows and a cast of performers playing robots and aliens.
Unfortunately, in 1993, the business was forced to close and McDonald’s took on the running of the UFO-inspired building, making it the only space-themed McDonald’s on the planet – an honour now held by a restaurant in Roswell, New Mexico.
Tony said: “The documentary will celebrate the vision of Blundell and the building designed by local architect, Graham Campbell, and all of the performers, and the staff who made the Megatron such an amazing experience.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
Stories, photos and videos can be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.