Ely family trek a coastal path to raise money for breast cancer care at Addenbrooke’s and Warwick hospitals
- Credit: Archant
An Ely family are spending half term walking the North Norfolk coastal path to raise money for the breast cancer care units at two hospitals.
The New family are making the trek to fund raise for Warwick Hospital and Addenbrooke’s.
Ruth and Richard and their two sons, Alexander and William set off to cover around 50 miles of the trek from Hunstanton to Sea Palling.
The family are going to rise to the challenge to add to hundreds of pounds already raised from a variety of events.
The family Just Giving page says: “Ruth had her mastectomy the day after her 30th birthday.
You may also want to watch:
“To celebrate 10 years from this and her 40th birthday, family New are walking the full length of the North Norfolk Coast Path (approximately 45 to 50 miles) over October Half Term finishing on Ruth’s birthday.
“This is a family challenge Mummy (Ruth), Daddy (Richard), William, four, and Alexander (age 10 by the time we do the walk) will be with us every step of the way.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
“In 2007 shortly after the birth of our first child, Ruth was diagnosed with grade three breast cancer.
“The team at Warwick Hospital could not have been more supportive of a family having to deal with this alongside dealing with a new born baby.
“It was only with the support and help of the team at Warwick that we made the long journey through surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and reconstructive surgery. The support we were given as a family was amazing.
“In 2010 we moved to Cambridge and the team at Addenbrooke’s helped and guided us through on going follow up but also supported us in growing our family - something we did not think was possible.
“Again the support from the breast care team was amazing - informed, supportive and understanding.”
So far the family have raised a massive £3,970.29.
They have set a team target of £4,050 which is ninety eight per cent towards their goal.
* Ruth fronts an Addenbrooke’s appeal which asks people to host parties for family, friends and colleagues this October to raise money to transform care for cancer patients. For more information, or to apply for a party pack, which include banners, balloons and invitations, visit www.act4addenbrookes.org.uk/ABCappeal, call 01223 217757 or email email@example.com.