New dementia group enjoys first trip to Wicken Fen
- Credit: Archant
The recently-formed Ely Dementia Group enjoyed a day trip to Wicken Fen thanks to a donation from the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.
The group is a volunteer peer-support organisation which meets fortnightly in Ely to offer carers and suffers of dementia a chance to socialise.
Co-founder of the group, Debbie White said: “On behalf of our group, I’d just like to express appreciation for all of the support we’ve received, which has enabled us to establish this essential social outlet for local carer’s & sufferer’s of dementia.”
The group has received donations and help from Sanctuary Housing, the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes and the Wicken Fen Trust as well as from volunteers who donate their time to keep the group running.
The group meets for a couple of hours in Militia Way, Ely, on alternate Thursday mornings from 10am to noon.
You may also want to watch:
During the meetings, carers get a chance to have a chat with other past or present carers whilst sufferers of a range of forms of dementia join in fun and games.
Entry costs £2 per person and includes coffee and biscuits.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 9 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
Entry fees and donations go towards arranging future activities within the group such as meals and trips.
For more information or details how you could donate to help the Ely Dementia Group, contact Debbie on 07546 481175 or 01353 664411.