New Council Chairman Announces New Charity to Support Liam Fairhurst
AN official Chairman s Charity has been set up at East Cambridgeshire District Council by its enterprising new chairman. Cllr Peter Cresswell told fellow members at the council s annual meeting on Tuesday that he wanted to raise money for Liam Fairhurst
AN official Chairman's Charity has been set up at East Cambridgeshire District Council by its enterprising new chairman.
Cllr Peter Cresswell told fellow members at the council's annual meeting on Tuesday that he wanted to raise money for Liam Fairhurst after meeting him and feeling inspired by his fund-raising activities. After the meeting Cllr Cresswell said: "I've been so inspired by Liam. I didn't have much of a lead-up to becoming chairman and I have always thought that if my time came it would be nice to make money for charity. There are quite a lot of organisations in my ward who say they are putting on an event and ask which charity could benefit, so I wanted to do what I could to help. A lot of other people at the council have raised money for charity in an official and unofficial capacity, and I didn't want to tread on their toes by setting up the official charity," he added.
Cllr Cresswell will meet with CLIC Sargent representatives and have the formal charity set up as soon as possible. If you would like details of how you can help the chairman's charity in the meantime, contact the Ely Standard on 01353 667831.
Cllr Cresswell is one of two district councillors who represent Cheveley ward.
On his appointment of chairman, he said: "It is a great honour to have been elected chairman of the district council and I am very much looking forward to representing the council during my term of office. I would like to pay tribute to Cllr Fred Brown who, as the previous chairman, brought dignity to the office.
"My priority over the next two years will be to act as an ambassador for the district. I want to engage with parishes, local organisation and, most importantly, residents to fin out what they are doing, and do my best to highlight how the council is working to improve their lives."
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
Dullingham councillor Anthea Davidson has been elected vice-chairman of the district council.
Pic cap: Peter Cresswell takes over the chairmanship of East Cambs District Council from new leader Fred Brown.