New buggy makes a world of difference to Douglas
- Credit: Archant
A new special needs buggy is making a world of difference to the day to day life of 11-year-old Douglas Griffiths, thanks to children’s disability charity Newlife Foundation.
Douglas, from Ely, is autistic and epileptic and needed the equipment to replace a previous buggy that he had outgrown. It means he is enjoying the great outdoors with his family more often.
Mum Amanda Griffiths said: “After outgrowing his previous buggy we had a basic model on a short-term loan, but it wasn’t very comfortable for Dougie so we didn’t go far with it.”
She added: “Having the new equipment means he is happier both in and out of the house as we use the buggy for meal times too. When we are out now he is more relaxed and content to sit in the buggy for longer. It really has improved his quality of life enormously. If he could I know he would be saying ‘thank you Newlife’!
“His younger brother Finlay doesn’t have the most normal of childhoods, as everything has to focus around Dougie’s needs, so having this bigger, better buggy will improve his family time too.”
The cost of the equipment – £1,163 – prompted Amanda to turn to Newlife for help as the charity had provided Douglas’s previous buggy.
In addition, the family is enjoying the loan of a Newlife Play Therapy Pod – around £400 of specialist sensory equipment.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 6 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
If you think you can help, the Newlife Community Fundraising Team can be contacted on freephone 0800 988 4640. Any individual or organisation thinking of running a fundraising event is asked to contact the team, who can offer support and guidance.