New buggy makes a world of difference to Douglas
- Credit: Archant
A new special needs buggy is making a world of difference to the day to day life of 11-year-old Douglas Griffiths, thanks to children’s disability charity Newlife Foundation.
Douglas, from Ely, is autistic and epileptic and needed the equipment to replace a previous buggy that he had outgrown. It means he is enjoying the great outdoors with his family more often.
Mum Amanda Griffiths said: “After outgrowing his previous buggy we had a basic model on a short-term loan, but it wasn’t very comfortable for Dougie so we didn’t go far with it.”
She added: “Having the new equipment means he is happier both in and out of the house as we use the buggy for meal times too. When we are out now he is more relaxed and content to sit in the buggy for longer. It really has improved his quality of life enormously. If he could I know he would be saying ‘thank you Newlife’!
“His younger brother Finlay doesn’t have the most normal of childhoods, as everything has to focus around Dougie’s needs, so having this bigger, better buggy will improve his family time too.”
You may also want to watch:
The cost of the equipment – £1,163 – prompted Amanda to turn to Newlife for help as the charity had provided Douglas’s previous buggy.
In addition, the family is enjoying the loan of a Newlife Play Therapy Pod – around £400 of specialist sensory equipment.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
If you think you can help, the Newlife Community Fundraising Team can be contacted on freephone 0800 988 4640. Any individual or organisation thinking of running a fundraising event is asked to contact the team, who can offer support and guidance.