New Book on Ghosts and Apparitions in Soham
WHEN Elizabeth Johnston began to organise ghost walks in Soham at Halloween, she little thought that the project would turn her into an authoress.
WHEN Elizabeth Johnston began to organise ghost walks in Soham at Hallowe’en, she little thought that the project would turn her into an authoress.
But the mum-of-two started to delve into the stories of various apparitions that had been seen around the town over hundreds of years and she has now brought her research together in a book called Haunted Soham.
Elizabeth said: “The stories span a period from Saxon times, right up to Harold William Griggs, who died two years ago, and whose ghost has been seen in the High Street.”
It has taken Elizabeth just over a year to research her book and she recently organised a book signing at the Budgens store in Soham.
You may also want to watch:
Elizabeth added: “Soham is so rich in history. I started the ghost walks five years ago and I thought the ghost stories were worth investigating. It has taken around a year to do my research. I have spoken to as many people as possible who have witnessed the ghosts. These are all documented and frequently seen apparitions.”
Elizabeth, who was born and bred in Soham, had 250 copies of her book printed. But she is already thinking she needs to have more copies made.
- 1 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 2 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 3 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 6 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 7 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 8 Round one to High Flyer after highways gives thumbs up to giant mug
- 9 Leader’s reminder of human cost of £100k homes fall-out
- 10 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
“I have been overwhelmed by the response,” she said
*The 46 page book costs �5.95 and is packed with stories relating to Soham’s past inhabitants with related history to help bring the stories back to life. Copies of the book are available at Budgens, Chatterbox and Soham Books.