New Book on Ghosts and Apparitions in Soham
WHEN Elizabeth Johnston began to organise ghost walks in Soham at Halloween, she little thought that the project would turn her into an authoress.
WHEN Elizabeth Johnston began to organise ghost walks in Soham at Hallowe’en, she little thought that the project would turn her into an authoress.
But the mum-of-two started to delve into the stories of various apparitions that had been seen around the town over hundreds of years and she has now brought her research together in a book called Haunted Soham.
Elizabeth said: “The stories span a period from Saxon times, right up to Harold William Griggs, who died two years ago, and whose ghost has been seen in the High Street.”
It has taken Elizabeth just over a year to research her book and she recently organised a book signing at the Budgens store in Soham.
Elizabeth added: “Soham is so rich in history. I started the ghost walks five years ago and I thought the ghost stories were worth investigating. It has taken around a year to do my research. I have spoken to as many people as possible who have witnessed the ghosts. These are all documented and frequently seen apparitions.”
Elizabeth, who was born and bred in Soham, had 250 copies of her book printed. But she is already thinking she needs to have more copies made.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 3 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 7 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 8 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
“I have been overwhelmed by the response,” she said
*The 46 page book costs �5.95 and is packed with stories relating to Soham’s past inhabitants with related history to help bring the stories back to life. Copies of the book are available at Budgens, Chatterbox and Soham Books.