New Book on Ghosts and Apparitions in Soham
WHEN Elizabeth Johnston began to organise ghost walks in Soham at Halloween, she little thought that the project would turn her into an authoress.
WHEN Elizabeth Johnston began to organise ghost walks in Soham at Hallowe’en, she little thought that the project would turn her into an authoress.
But the mum-of-two started to delve into the stories of various apparitions that had been seen around the town over hundreds of years and she has now brought her research together in a book called Haunted Soham.
Elizabeth said: “The stories span a period from Saxon times, right up to Harold William Griggs, who died two years ago, and whose ghost has been seen in the High Street.”
It has taken Elizabeth just over a year to research her book and she recently organised a book signing at the Budgens store in Soham.
You may also want to watch:
Elizabeth added: “Soham is so rich in history. I started the ghost walks five years ago and I thought the ghost stories were worth investigating. It has taken around a year to do my research. I have spoken to as many people as possible who have witnessed the ghosts. These are all documented and frequently seen apparitions.”
Elizabeth, who was born and bred in Soham, had 250 copies of her book printed. But she is already thinking she needs to have more copies made.
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 8 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 9 Cambs city voted ‘most likely to survive zombie apocalypse’
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
“I have been overwhelmed by the response,” she said
*The 46 page book costs �5.95 and is packed with stories relating to Soham’s past inhabitants with related history to help bring the stories back to life. Copies of the book are available at Budgens, Chatterbox and Soham Books.