Warm welcome to Soham for Nellie the tuk tuk as community reach fundraising target
- Credit: Archant
A stylish tuk tuk that goes by the name of Nellie will be making its way to the streets of Soham after a fundraising campaign.
The stylish mode of urban transport will now be able to transport residents to community events and combat isolation.
Around £4,000 was raised by members of the community to buy Nellie following a Crowdfunder being launched earlier this year.
Arts group Viva and new initiative Soham Men's Shed joined forces with the Neighbourhood Cares team to get the tuk tuk to the town.
Nellie was given a warm welcome by residents in The Fountain car park yesterday evening (June 25).
You may also want to watch:
Speaking to the Ely Standard earlier this year, Wendy Lansdown, Neighbourhood Cares worker, said: "We heard how tough people find it to get out and about in Soham and really wanted to make a difference.
"When we heard about Nellie being up for sale it sounded like the perfect idea to bring people closer together and be able to use it to take them to coffee mornings, drop-in sessions and shows held by Viva.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
"We know that Nellie will be loved."
Nellie was sold by Ely Tuk Tuks due to the company relocating, but it has been the focus of parties and events across the region in recent years.