Neighbours object to ‘mini-supermarket’ plans
- Credit: Archant
A developer’s plans to convert a former car showroom and garage in Ely into a new convenience store have met with stiff opposition from neighbours.
KDM Enterprises has applied to covert the former Marshall Vauxhalls garage in St Mary’s Street into a retail premises which includes retail floor space, a warehouse, a food preparation area, offices and a staff room.
Speculation abounds that the outlet could be taken over by one of the major supermarket retailers and be used as a mini-supermarket outlet for top-up shopping.
But the idea of more traffic on St Mary’s Street has caused outrage among neighbours, who have objected to East Cambridgeshire District Council about the plans.
John Kirk, of Cromwell Road, said: “The traffic already backs up from the Lamb Hotel at busy times. To add what will be a quick stop car park along with the shop will create an increasingly dangerous environment.”
You may also want to watch:
And Donald Guy, of St Mary’s Street, added: “While the previous business was a car dealership, it was quiet on weekends and outside normal working hours. We are concerned that noise from deliveries, car doors, engines etc could detract from the quality of life for the many residents of the neighbourhood.”
The City of Ely Council has also weighed into the consultation, saying it had “serious concerns” about the parking and access to the site. It called for the plans to be deferred to a meeting of the district council’s planning committee later in the year.
- 1 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 5 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 6 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 7 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 9 Residents reminisce as they dance, drink and get tattoos
- 10 Watch as police smash their way into suspected drug dealer’s flat