Napoleonic Sculpture Nets Record Bid At Ely Auction House
CREDIT crunch? What credit crunch? A Napoleonic sculpture netted a record price for Ely auctioneers on Tuesday as the art world continues to see unexpected investment. The bronze horseman in a storm went for more than twice its asking price, as the unna
CREDIT crunch? What credit crunch? A Napoleonic sculpture netted a record price for Ely auctioneers on Tuesday as the art world continues to see unexpected investment.
The bronze 'horseman in a storm' went for more than twice its asking price, as the unnamed buyer eventually secured the sculpture for £28,000. Sculptor Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier was one of many artists to document every step of Napoleon Bonaparte's efforts at conquering Europe during the nineteenth century - but the previous record price for one of his sculptures was just £13,000.
Roddy Lloyd, managing director of Rowley's Fine Art Auctioneers and Valuers on Downham Road, said the company were surprised to have made the sale during an economic downturn and added that the whole sale, at Tattersalls in Newmarket, had seen success.
"People have obviously still got money to spend," he told the Ely Standard.
You may also want to watch:
"Although the housing market may have gone through the floor, people are choosing to make improvements to their own homes - improving the furniture, artworks and fittings or building extensions, rather than buying a new property. There is still a lot of money around."
Bronze sculptures by the artist Meissonier have their home in museums in Washington DC and Lyon, France.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car