Mums start petition after 18 children are not given places at their first choice Soham school
- Credit: Archant
Parents have launched a petition to get their youngsters into the reception class at The Shade in Soham after 18 of them were refused places.
The children are all at the school’s nursery and had no idea they were likely to be turned down.
Mum Belinda Paskell, whose three year old daughter Layla did not get a place, is a child minder and says it will affect her business.
“Layla has been offered a place at Weatheralls which means I will effectively lose all of my business as all of my children I child mind for attend The Shade.
“There is no way I can do two school runs,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Last year The Shade had two reception classes but this year they are only having one which is why so many children have been turned down for places, she added.
“Children have formed friendships and become accustomed to their surroundings here and now have to start all over again,” she said.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“Some mums live just round the corner and now have a longer journey to school.”
The alternative schools where children will now go are St Andrew’s or Weatheralls.
The parents of the 18 children have started a petition which already has 300 signatures and they have also contacted MP Lucy Fraser and local councillors.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “Last year an extra reception class was added as a one off in response to high demand.
“By 2018 we hope to have extended the Shade to double its capacity from 210 to 420 places.
“All 18 children were offered other places within other Soham schools.”