Mums start petition after 18 children are not given places at their first choice Soham school
- Credit: Archant
Parents have launched a petition to get their youngsters into the reception class at The Shade in Soham after 18 of them were refused places.
The children are all at the school’s nursery and had no idea they were likely to be turned down.
Mum Belinda Paskell, whose three year old daughter Layla did not get a place, is a child minder and says it will affect her business.
“Layla has been offered a place at Weatheralls which means I will effectively lose all of my business as all of my children I child mind for attend The Shade.
“There is no way I can do two school runs,” she said.
Last year The Shade had two reception classes but this year they are only having one which is why so many children have been turned down for places, she added.
“Children have formed friendships and become accustomed to their surroundings here and now have to start all over again,” she said.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 9 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
“Some mums live just round the corner and now have a longer journey to school.”
The alternative schools where children will now go are St Andrew’s or Weatheralls.
The parents of the 18 children have started a petition which already has 300 signatures and they have also contacted MP Lucy Fraser and local councillors.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “Last year an extra reception class was added as a one off in response to high demand.
“By 2018 we hope to have extended the Shade to double its capacity from 210 to 420 places.
“All 18 children were offered other places within other Soham schools.”