Mum and two daughters on holiday when blaze rips through Sutton home
A MUM and her two daughters had a lucky escape after a blaze ripped through the family home in Sutton in the early hours of Thursday morning. The family were on holiday in Yarmouth when the fire broke out in the lounge of the semi-detached house in Tower
A MUM and her two daughters had a lucky escape after a blaze ripped through the family home in Sutton in the early hours of Thursday morning.
The family were on holiday in Yarmouth when the fire broke out in the lounge of the semi-detached house in Tower Road before engulfing the first floor and the roof. The fire service were alerted at 4.2am by a neighbour who heard a loud crackling noise and looked out of her window to see the flames.
Fire crews from Ely, Sutton and Chatteris arrived at the scene and attempted to enter the property but were forced back when the first floor became unstable.
They retreated and tackled the blaze from outside because the building was deemed to be structurally unstable.
Station manger Dave Allen said: "The fire spread rapidly through the home and we arrived the ground floor, first floor and the roof were well alight.
"Thanks to the efforts of crews and the early warning from the next door neighbour, we managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the adjoining home."
- 1 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 2 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- 5 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 6 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 7 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 10 Dental practice plan move to business park
The family will be re-housed by Sanctuary Hereward.