MP throws his weight behind Little Downham crossing campaign
- Credit: Archant
North East Cambridgeshire MP Steve Barclay has launched a petition in support of a Little Downham mum’s bid to install a zebra crossing outside the village school.
Mr Barclay and mum-of-two Emma Turrell, a childminder, are asking parents and residents to back the petition, which calls on Cambridgeshire County Council to install the crossing outside Downham Feoffees Primary School.
Mrs Turrell has also submitted a bid for funds to the local highways improvement agency which is offering funding for community road safety projects in 2014.
It is hoped that a successful bid would go towards funding the cost of the zebra crossing.
Mrs Turrell said: “Crossing Main Street in order to access the school and preschool is particularly difficult due to the volume and speed of the traffic, the position of parked cars, and the bend in the road.
“The whole situation is extremely dangerous and if something isn’t done, it is highly likely that a serious accident will occur. The children’s right to a safe journey to school should be as fundamental as the right to the education itself. “
The speed limit on the road is 30mph but, Mrs Turrell says road users along Main Street often do not slow down, which is a particular risk at school collection.
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Branch president left pleasantly surprised thanks to freemasons
- 9 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
The problem is exacerbated by a sharp bend in the road close to where children cross.
Mr Barclay said: “I am very glad to be launching this petition in support of Emma’s bid to have a crossing installed on this road. Having viewed first-hand the number of children and vehicles at school closing time, there is a clear need in my view for a zebra crossing.
“The school has 204 pupils and 24 members of staff as well as elderly residents living nearby, many of whom need to cross the road on a daily basis.
“Having discussed our plans with the Skoda garage nearby, they have confirmed that the road gets particularly busy at school closing times and that they have no objection to plans for a crossing which is also supported by Little Downham councillor Anna Bailey.”
To register your support you can sign the petition at: stevebarclay.net/petition.