MP joins mobile phone campaign to help Africa
SOUTH East Cambridgeshire MP Jim Paice has donated his old mobile phone to the Phones 4 Africa campaign – launched this week – and urged his constituents to follow suit. Donated phones will be reconditioned and reused in African nations – improving mobile
SOUTH East Cambridgeshire MP Jim Paice has donated his old mobile phone to the Phones 4 Africa campaign - launched this week - and urged his constituents to follow suit.
Donated phones will be reconditioned and reused in African nations - improving mobile communications in the developing world and helping to protect the environment.
Mr Paice said: "Every hour 1,712 mobile phones are upgraded in the UK alone and despite having a lifespan of 10 years, we usually keep them for 18 months on average. People living in Africa do not have the same luxury.
"Donating unwanted mobile phones will not only improve mobile communications in Africa but will help to protect the environment. That is why I am getting involved in the Phones 4 Africa campaign."
You may also want to watch:
INFO: Anyone wishing to donate their old handsets to this campaign should send them to FREEPOST Fonebak Vodafone Africa.
n If all mobile-users in the UK threw their old phones in the bin we'd be land-filling £650,000- worth of silver a year, not to mention the toxic chemicals that would leak into the environment.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4