MP joins bid to divert all noisy crafts
NOISY military aeroplanes bound for RAF Mildenhall are a familiar sight in the skies above Ely, but that could soon change now that Jim Paice MP has got behind a local campaign to divert the aircraft. The MP for South East Cambridgeshire began talks with
NOISY military aeroplanes bound for RAF Mildenhall are a familiar sight in the skies above Ely, but that could soon change now that Jim Paice MP has got behind a local campaign to divert the aircraft.
The MP for South East Cambridgeshire began talks with defence minister Don Touhig after the Ely Society proposed a number of alternative routes for the aircraft that would take them clear of the city.
Mr Paice said: "The noise and air pollution caused by military flights over Ely is a real concern to residents and I have asked the defence minister to consider the Ely Society's proposals to divert aircraft slightly to the south of the city.
Chairman of the Ely Society John Sanders said that continued fly-overs could be damaging to tourism in the city.
You may also want to watch:
"The noise from the low-flying heavy aircraft, often following each other in quick succession, creates major noise pollution which is seriously damaging to the ambience of the city for both visitors and residents.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment