Jim Paice, MP for South East Cambridgeshire, lent a helping hand in Soham on Friday as part of national Volunteers Week. Mr Paice worked at the Viva Arts and Community Group s shop in Churchgate Street at the organisation s open day. Jenny Roberts, one
Jim Paice, MP for South East Cambridgeshire, lent a helping hand in Soham on Friday as part of national Volunteers' Week.
Mr Paice worked at the Viva Arts and Community Group's shop in Churchgate Street at the organisation's open day.
Jenny Roberts, one of the leaders at the group, said: "Jim Paice has always been a supporter of Viva, but for him to do something so hands-on is showing real support for our charity and for Soham as well."
Mr Paice helped staff by pricing up and selling goods.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a wonderful event," he said.
"I've supported Viva from the beginning because it does a really good job providing something very useful for young people in Soham.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
"They have done a tremendous job developing young people and a number of them have gone on to further and higher education after their work with the group - when all we hear about is criticism of young people, this organisation is very important."
Volunteers' Week ran from last Thursday until yesterday (Wednesday), and is an annual celebration of the work that volunteers do for their communities. Events are held across the country to recognise, reward and recruit volunteers.
INFO: For more information about Viva's work, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 01353 722228.