MP drops in on a voluntary service that can help those on low incomes furnish their homes
- Credit: Archant
Lucy Frazer, MP for South East Cambridgeshire, is encouraging people to support and make use of local service Cambridge Re-Use.
Cambridge Re-Use is based on Cherry Hinton Road and serves residents within a 20 mile radius. They take donations of furniture and household goods for resale to people on benefits or low incomes, to help furnish their homes at a lower cost. The service is run entirely by volunteers.
Lucy met with manager Cara Moorey and the chairman, Alan Oswald, who showed her around their store and talked about the need for new donations. Cara is also keen to make local people aware that the service is available for those who need it. People earning under £18,000, or £23,000 for couples, are able to buy from Cambridge Re-Use.
Ms Frazer said: “Cambridge Re-Use is a great example of community spirit. The volunteers work incredibly hard year-round to help people across Cambridgeshire and is a great way of helping those on lower incomes.
“ A lot of people are not aware that the service exists and I would encourage local residents to make use of the service and to donate their used or unwanted furniture to this great cause.”
You may also want to watch:
Cara Moorey said: “We could not offer our customers the excellent choice of furniture without the generosity of the general public in donating their furniture and electrical goods to us. We collect from a 20 mile radius of Cambridge which includes Ely and surrounding villages.
“With a warehouse full of a wide range of good quality furniture and electrical goods, our customers are able to benefit from a positive shopping experience in a warm welcoming atmosphere where the cost of the goods is kept low and affordable.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools