Motorists warned of delays as underpass set for closure
- Credit: Archant
The underpass at Ely train station will be closed again over the weekend, with motorist advised to expect delays.
The A142, where it crosses and passes under the railway line, will be closed from 7pm on Friday, January 30, through to 6am on Monday, February 2.
The closure is being planned by Anglian Water alongside the local highways agency to allow a £400,000 sewer replacement scheme to be completed.
The project has been designed to significantly reduce the chances of bursts affecting customer supplies.
Emma Staples, from Anglian Water, said: “This work has been extensively planned to minimise disruption wherever possible while we replace this stretch of sewer, which has burst several times recently.
You may also want to watch:
“Our teams of engineers will be working round the clock over both weekends to ensure work is completed on schedule.
“We hope people will understand why this work is so essential, however, we also appreciate that it will be inconvenient. This is why we wanted to give people in Ely and the surrounding area as much notice as possible, and why we have meticulously planned the project and timing to avoid peak times and minimise the impact it will have.”
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 10 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
Diversions will be in place throughout the closure.