Motion to consider alternative site for Soham’s proposed new station hits the buffers
- Credit: Archant
Calls by a Soham Town councillor to change the location of a proposed new railway station for the town failed to find backing at Monday’s council meeting.
Cllr Geoffrey Woollard tabled a proposition calling for East Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council and Network to examine the feasibility of an alternative site.
He made the move after telling fellow councillors the four access to the current site: Clay Street, Fountain Lane, Mereside and Station Road, are all heavily congested.
Cllr Woollard told the meeting that Network Rail’s decision to put the dualling of the Soham to Ely line on hold has given an opportunity to re-examine the location of the proposed new station.
He suggests the general vicinity of Cherry Tree Lane was a more suitable site and was asked fellow councillors to back his call for the three authorities to look at the feasibility of his suggested alternative location.
You may also want to watch:
However, the motion failed to gain a seconder and it the buffers immediately.
Afterwards Cllr Woollard said: “The motion was not intended to change town councillors’ minds at this stage. It was intended merely to ask others - East Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council and Network Rail - to examine the feasibility of an alternative site on the edge of town.”
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
He added: “I intend to return to the subject and to try again.”