Staff and volunteers raise more than £300 for Cats Protection
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Ely rail station teamed up with volunteers from the local branch of Cats Protection raised more than £300 for local cats and kittens in need.
The fundraiser, which was held on platform one, included a stall with Cats Protection new goods, a cat photo competition and details and photos of cats and kittens that are currently looking for a new home.
Several volunteers manned the stalls and were able to give help and advice on all things cat related.
The staff at Ely Railway Station - Eileen, Becci, Amanda and Shaun - sold homemade cakes, dressed up as cats, and entertained everyone who visited the stall. Eileen also donated hand-crafted items for sale.
Theresa Langford, membership officer at Ely & District Cats Protection, said: “With Shaun’s encouraging station announcements and a sweepstake held at Cambridge Railway station, an amazing total of £324.25 was raised.
“We also had support from Ely’s local celebrity cat and big fan of Ely & Cats Protection – Garfield the Sainsbury’s cat. “He apparently pestered his dad David into also giving us a huge donation.”
Theresa addeds: “I would like to say thank you so much to those customers of Greater Anglia who contributed to our fundraising on the day – we could not support the local cats without public help”.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 3 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 4 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 7 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 8 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 9 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 10 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
For more information contact Cats Protection’s Ely and District Branch on 01353 699430, visit www.ely.cats.org.uk or search Cats Protection – Ely and District Branch on Facebook.