Staff and volunteers raise more than £300 for Cats Protection
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Ely rail station teamed up with volunteers from the local branch of Cats Protection raised more than £300 for local cats and kittens in need.
The fundraiser, which was held on platform one, included a stall with Cats Protection new goods, a cat photo competition and details and photos of cats and kittens that are currently looking for a new home.
Several volunteers manned the stalls and were able to give help and advice on all things cat related.
The staff at Ely Railway Station - Eileen, Becci, Amanda and Shaun - sold homemade cakes, dressed up as cats, and entertained everyone who visited the stall. Eileen also donated hand-crafted items for sale.
Theresa Langford, membership officer at Ely & District Cats Protection, said: “With Shaun’s encouraging station announcements and a sweepstake held at Cambridge Railway station, an amazing total of £324.25 was raised.
You may also want to watch:
“We also had support from Ely’s local celebrity cat and big fan of Ely & Cats Protection – Garfield the Sainsbury’s cat. “He apparently pestered his dad David into also giving us a huge donation.”
Theresa addeds: “I would like to say thank you so much to those customers of Greater Anglia who contributed to our fundraising on the day – we could not support the local cats without public help”.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
For more information contact Cats Protection’s Ely and District Branch on 01353 699430, visit www.ely.cats.org.uk or search Cats Protection – Ely and District Branch on Facebook.