Moo-vers and shakers honoured at annual stockman’s dinner
- Credit: Archant
The ninth annual Stockman’s Dinner and Cattle Show Presentation Night was held in Ely last Friday.
The organisers said that 111 people attended the event, a stark increase from eight years ago, when the first dinner started with just 42 attendees.
The purpose of the evening was to announce the results of the On Farm Cattle Show and discover who would be taking home the coveted trophies – ranging from best herd to best heifer.
Judging for the show takes place over three days to cope with the number of entries and was carried out this year by Tim Biela, from Suffolk, who gave up a long weekend in early March to visit 20 farms and judge 22 herds.
This encompassed an area from Ely and district to Brampton, Lakenheath, Methwold, March, Hemingford Abbots, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds.
John Pinnells, chairman of the Pymoor Stockman’s Club, thanked Tim, Chris, Robert and Andrew for all their hard work over the cattle show weekend, as well as a number of the back room team who organised the dinner.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Large Herd: 1 A.J. & N.J. Lee; 2 W.R. Jackson & Son.
Medium Herd: 1 Abigail Runciman; 2 Steve Thompson.
Small Herd: 1 Stephen Fairchild; 2 Charles Whitwell.
Best Animal (up to 30 months): 1 Adrian Barnett (Charolais); 2 W.R. Jackson & Son (South Devon Heifer).
Best Beef Cow with Calf: 1 A.J. & N.J. Lee (Charolais X); 2 W.R. Jackson & Son (South Devon).
Best Group of Cows & Calves: 1 W.R. Jackson & Son; 2 A.J. & N.J. Lee.
Large Herd: 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Dan Turner (Limousin).
Medium Herd: 1 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn); 2 Chris Nye (Beef Shorthorn).
Small Herd: 1 K & H Burgess (Gloucester); 2 James Griffin (Simental).
Best Heifer (up to 30 months): 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Karen Church (Hereford).
Best Cow with Calf: 1 Dan Turner (Limousin); 2 K & H Burgess (Gloucester).
Best Group of Cows & Calves: 1 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn); 2 Shadwell Estates (Angus).
Best Junior Bull (up to 30 months): 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Robert Wright (Limousin).
Best Senior Bull (over 30 months): 1 Dan Turner (Limousin); 2 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn).
Best Native Bull: 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 S & C Horrell (Beef Shorthorn).
Best Newcomer: 1 K & H Burgess (Gloucester); 2 Stephen Fairchild (Mixed Herd).