Moo-vers and shakers honoured at annual stockman’s dinner
- Credit: Archant
The ninth annual Stockman’s Dinner and Cattle Show Presentation Night was held in Ely last Friday.
The organisers said that 111 people attended the event, a stark increase from eight years ago, when the first dinner started with just 42 attendees.
The purpose of the evening was to announce the results of the On Farm Cattle Show and discover who would be taking home the coveted trophies – ranging from best herd to best heifer.
Judging for the show takes place over three days to cope with the number of entries and was carried out this year by Tim Biela, from Suffolk, who gave up a long weekend in early March to visit 20 farms and judge 22 herds.
This encompassed an area from Ely and district to Brampton, Lakenheath, Methwold, March, Hemingford Abbots, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds.
John Pinnells, chairman of the Pymoor Stockman’s Club, thanked Tim, Chris, Robert and Andrew for all their hard work over the cattle show weekend, as well as a number of the back room team who organised the dinner.
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Branch president left pleasantly surprised thanks to freemasons
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 1,800 enjoy free Christmas day out at Ely’s ‘hidden gem’
Large Herd: 1 A.J. & N.J. Lee; 2 W.R. Jackson & Son.
Medium Herd: 1 Abigail Runciman; 2 Steve Thompson.
Small Herd: 1 Stephen Fairchild; 2 Charles Whitwell.
Best Animal (up to 30 months): 1 Adrian Barnett (Charolais); 2 W.R. Jackson & Son (South Devon Heifer).
Best Beef Cow with Calf: 1 A.J. & N.J. Lee (Charolais X); 2 W.R. Jackson & Son (South Devon).
Best Group of Cows & Calves: 1 W.R. Jackson & Son; 2 A.J. & N.J. Lee.
Large Herd: 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Dan Turner (Limousin).
Medium Herd: 1 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn); 2 Chris Nye (Beef Shorthorn).
Small Herd: 1 K & H Burgess (Gloucester); 2 James Griffin (Simental).
Best Heifer (up to 30 months): 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Karen Church (Hereford).
Best Cow with Calf: 1 Dan Turner (Limousin); 2 K & H Burgess (Gloucester).
Best Group of Cows & Calves: 1 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn); 2 Shadwell Estates (Angus).
Best Junior Bull (up to 30 months): 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Robert Wright (Limousin).
Best Senior Bull (over 30 months): 1 Dan Turner (Limousin); 2 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn).
Best Native Bull: 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 S & C Horrell (Beef Shorthorn).
Best Newcomer: 1 K & H Burgess (Gloucester); 2 Stephen Fairchild (Mixed Herd).