Moo-vers and shakers honoured at annual stockman’s dinner
- Credit: Archant
The ninth annual Stockman’s Dinner and Cattle Show Presentation Night was held in Ely last Friday.
The organisers said that 111 people attended the event, a stark increase from eight years ago, when the first dinner started with just 42 attendees.
The purpose of the evening was to announce the results of the On Farm Cattle Show and discover who would be taking home the coveted trophies – ranging from best herd to best heifer.
Judging for the show takes place over three days to cope with the number of entries and was carried out this year by Tim Biela, from Suffolk, who gave up a long weekend in early March to visit 20 farms and judge 22 herds.
This encompassed an area from Ely and district to Brampton, Lakenheath, Methwold, March, Hemingford Abbots, Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
John Pinnells, chairman of the Pymoor Stockman’s Club, thanked Tim, Chris, Robert and Andrew for all their hard work over the cattle show weekend, as well as a number of the back room team who organised the dinner.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
Large Herd: 1 A.J. & N.J. Lee; 2 W.R. Jackson & Son.
Medium Herd: 1 Abigail Runciman; 2 Steve Thompson.
Small Herd: 1 Stephen Fairchild; 2 Charles Whitwell.
Best Animal (up to 30 months): 1 Adrian Barnett (Charolais); 2 W.R. Jackson & Son (South Devon Heifer).
Best Beef Cow with Calf: 1 A.J. & N.J. Lee (Charolais X); 2 W.R. Jackson & Son (South Devon).
Best Group of Cows & Calves: 1 W.R. Jackson & Son; 2 A.J. & N.J. Lee.
Large Herd: 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Dan Turner (Limousin).
Medium Herd: 1 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn); 2 Chris Nye (Beef Shorthorn).
Small Herd: 1 K & H Burgess (Gloucester); 2 James Griffin (Simental).
Best Heifer (up to 30 months): 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Karen Church (Hereford).
Best Cow with Calf: 1 Dan Turner (Limousin); 2 K & H Burgess (Gloucester).
Best Group of Cows & Calves: 1 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn); 2 Shadwell Estates (Angus).
Best Junior Bull (up to 30 months): 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 Robert Wright (Limousin).
Best Senior Bull (over 30 months): 1 Dan Turner (Limousin); 2 C & S Horrell (Beef Shorthorn).
Best Native Bull: 1 Shadwell Estates (Angus); 2 S & C Horrell (Beef Shorthorn).
Best Newcomer: 1 K & H Burgess (Gloucester); 2 Stephen Fairchild (Mixed Herd).