Mildenhall speedway star to be remembered with honorary stand
- Credit: Mildenhall Fen Tigers/Derek Leader
Mildenhall Fen Tigers will pay tribute to one of its most popular former riders, Danny Ayres.
The club will rename their main stand the ‘Danny Ayres Stand’ in memory of the man known as ‘Mr Entertainer’, who died in February last year.
The unveiling was due to take place at 2.30pm ahead of Fen Tigers’ National Development League fixture with Eastbourne at the Mildenhall Stadium on Sunday, June 20, which was postponed.
Club promoter Greg Palmer said: "Our new clerk of the course, Neil Southam, spoke to me about the possibility of naming the grandstand in Danny's memory and we thought it was a lovely idea.
“Danny was a special rider, one whose interactions with the crowd were as important as his race wins. He loved this club, its supporters and we all loved him.”
Mildenhall recovered from a six-point deficit to draw 45-45 at Leicester in their opening National Development League meeting on June 16.
- 1 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 2 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 3 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 6 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 7 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 8 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 9 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 10 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?