Mildenhall speedway star to be remembered with honorary stand
- Credit: Mildenhall Fen Tigers/Derek Leader
Mildenhall Fen Tigers will pay tribute to one of its most popular former riders, Danny Ayres.
The club will rename their main stand the ‘Danny Ayres Stand’ in memory of the man known as ‘Mr Entertainer’, who died in February last year.
The unveiling was due to take place at 2.30pm ahead of Fen Tigers’ National Development League fixture with Eastbourne at the Mildenhall Stadium on Sunday, June 20, which was postponed.
Club promoter Greg Palmer said: "Our new clerk of the course, Neil Southam, spoke to me about the possibility of naming the grandstand in Danny's memory and we thought it was a lovely idea.
“Danny was a special rider, one whose interactions with the crowd were as important as his race wins. He loved this club, its supporters and we all loved him.”
You may also want to watch:
Mildenhall recovered from a six-point deficit to draw 45-45 at Leicester in their opening National Development League meeting on June 16.
- 1 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 2 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 3 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 4 'Support this local attraction,’ MP urges on museum visit
- 5 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 6 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 9 9 hidden gems of East Anglia by rail from Cambridgeshire
- 10 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city