Mepal centre begins funrdraising for new dinghies
- Credit: Archant
MEPAL Outdoor Centre has begun fundraising to replace its ageing fleet of sailing dinghies that are used to teach local children how to sail.
The centre, which has been closed for renovations over the winter, is expected to re-open at Easter and is gearing up for a busy summer season.
Funds are needed to replace a fleet of 10 dinghies however, and staff have appealed this week for donations.
President of the Mepal Charitable Trust, Cllr John Yates, said:
“We need to raise nearly £14,000 to achieve our dream of 10 new sailing dinghies. Mepal Outdoor Centre is a valued and much-loved community resource. Over the past 30 years we’ve taught thousands of local people to love the great outdoors.
“We’re hoping that some of those people will now be prepared to give a few pounds back to ensure the next generation of children get the same chance.”
Many East Cambridgeshire schools have already booked for either day visits or residential stays to give children a taste of the great outdoors.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 8 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
The centre will also provide training courses, taster sessions and school holiday provision.
Mepal Outdoor Centre is run by a Charitable Trust and as such has to raise all its own funds to stay afloat.
Alison Brown, from Cambridgeshire ACRE, said: “This is such a great cause and I urge everyone to get involved. Support from the local community – from individuals, families, local businesses and organisations – is vital for securing the centre’s long-term future and we are grateful to all those who are able to contribute.”
To help Mepal Outdoor Centre reach its goal, you can pledge your financial support by visiting http://spacehive.com/helpmepaloutdoorcentregetafloat
To find out more about Mepal Outdoor Centre, visit www.mepal.co.uk or call on 0300 365 1245.