Mepal centre begins funrdraising for new dinghies
- Credit: Archant
MEPAL Outdoor Centre has begun fundraising to replace its ageing fleet of sailing dinghies that are used to teach local children how to sail.
The centre, which has been closed for renovations over the winter, is expected to re-open at Easter and is gearing up for a busy summer season.
Funds are needed to replace a fleet of 10 dinghies however, and staff have appealed this week for donations.
President of the Mepal Charitable Trust, Cllr John Yates, said:
“We need to raise nearly £14,000 to achieve our dream of 10 new sailing dinghies. Mepal Outdoor Centre is a valued and much-loved community resource. Over the past 30 years we’ve taught thousands of local people to love the great outdoors.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re hoping that some of those people will now be prepared to give a few pounds back to ensure the next generation of children get the same chance.”
Many East Cambridgeshire schools have already booked for either day visits or residential stays to give children a taste of the great outdoors.
- 1 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Residents 'horrified' by Swastika graffiti in grounds of Ely Cathedral
- 4 Lockdown easing - 10 pubs and restaurants say welcome back
- 5 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 6 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 7 Littleport marks Royal British Legion centenary year with moving ceremony
- 8 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
The centre will also provide training courses, taster sessions and school holiday provision.
Mepal Outdoor Centre is run by a Charitable Trust and as such has to raise all its own funds to stay afloat.
Alison Brown, from Cambridgeshire ACRE, said: “This is such a great cause and I urge everyone to get involved. Support from the local community – from individuals, families, local businesses and organisations – is vital for securing the centre’s long-term future and we are grateful to all those who are able to contribute.”
To help Mepal Outdoor Centre reach its goal, you can pledge your financial support by visiting http://spacehive.com/helpmepaloutdoorcentregetafloat
To find out more about Mepal Outdoor Centre, visit www.mepal.co.uk or call on 0300 365 1245.