Memories needed as Soham prepares to commemorate First World War
- Credit: Archant
The organisers of a First World War memorial event are calling on the people of Soham to share their memories and memorabilia so the town can pay fitting tribute to its heroes.
Soham Town Council and the Soham Heritage and Tourism Group will be hosting a day-long memorial event on August 3 next year to mark 100 years since the outbreak of the Great War.
As part of proceedings, organisers want to gather as many memories, photos and items as they can so that a book can be produced documenting the sacrifice of Soham and its residents during the war years.
Councillor Glenn Woodbridge, who is helping lead the project, said: “What we want to do, if we can get enough information, is to write a book on how the war affected families in and around Soham.
“Any items can be dropped off at the town council or with the heritage and tourism group. Time permitting, we can also go out and visit people and take down some of their memories.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as the book, the group will also be hosting an event on Soham’s recreation ground, where everyone is invited to come along and commemorate the 100-year landmark.
Cllr Woodbridge said: “On August 3 we will be holding a memorial event on Soham recreation ground and, at the moment, we have got a re-enactment group coming and lots of local acts. We feel that it is important, however, that we commemorate and not celebrate.”
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
Anyone with items or documents they would like to loan, or memories they would like to share, contact Cllr Woodbridge on 07825215424 or e-mail email@example.com
Items can also be left at Soham Town Council’s offices, in the Walter Gidney Pavilion, off Fountain Lane.