Evening of entertainment and hundreds raised for charity at Mayor of Ely’s annual ‘community celebration’
- Credit: Supplied/Mike Rouse
Hundreds of pounds have been raised for charity at an annual evening of entertainment led by the mayor of Ely.
The 'Mayor's Supper' event took place at The Maltings on Saturday, February 22 and saw more than £2,000 handed over to good causes across the county.
Mayor Mike Rouse praised attendees for their donations as more than 100 guests helped raise £460 for Pos+Ability, a charity which supports people living with long-term neurological conditions
KD Theatre Productions handed over a cheque for £2,000 to the mayor's charity and Mike was given an early birthday cake ahead of his 80th birthday.
He said: "Thank you all for coming. This year I wanted to do something different, not a formal ball or dinner with invitations to other mayors and chairs, but a community celebration for Ely.
You may also want to watch:
"I talk a lot about 'community', what makes a community welcoming, inclusive and healthy.
"We are fortunate to live in a small historic city with a great cathedral and many fine buildings and attractions - but people make a community."
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
For a full list of 'thankyous' and a gallery of photos, visit Mike Rouse on Facebook.