Mayor marks 27 years of Wyn and Gareth’s association with Ely/Ribe twinning
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Ely, Councillor Richard Hobbs, hosted a presentation to mark 27 years of Wyn and Gareth Hughes’ association with Ely/Ribe twinning.
Twenty-five members of the association attended, including Mona Lise Martinussen – who wove the twinning tapestry that is displayed at The Maltings - and her husband Ejvind from Ribe.
The occasion was marked with gifts including a painting of Ribe presented by new association chairman Howard McMillan.
He said he aims to increase the association’s membership by offering a range of social activities and try to develop links between similar clubs/associations in the two communities.
“This year we have successfully helped link up Ely Choral Society and Ribe Kammerkor (Chamber Choir) and the Kammerkor are coming to Ely in November.
You may also want to watch:
“We have established links between the Isle of Ely Rowing Club and its counterpart in Ribe and we are hoping that a regatta will be held in Ely next spring.
“We are also hosting a visit from the Ribe Twinning Association next year and have invited them to Ely for the Ely Cathedral Flower Festival weekend.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member