Was Ely right to hold fireworks display on Armistice Day? Some think not but mayor Richard Hobbs thinks it’s fine
- Credit: Archant
Social media criticism of Ely Fireworks display being held on Armistice Day was dismissed by the mayor of Ely, Richard Hobbs.
Councillor Richard Hobbs said he was annoyed about the negative comments.
“We showed our respect at the right time and I fully believe those brave people gave their lives so we could have a choice,” he said.
“Most people show respect 365 days a year, it’s not something people turn off and on.
“The Ely Fireworks night is a really big community event and demonstrates a lot of people enjoyed it.”
Thousands gathered at Cherry Hill Park for the 11th annual Ely Fireworks - but some criticised organisers for holding it on Armistice Day.
While families packed the area overlooking Ely Cathedral on Saturday evening, the event has been met with criticism.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
One woman wrote on a Facebook group: “Am I the only one who thinks Ely’s Fireworks display on Armistice Day showed a lack of respect?
“And anyway it could have been organised nearer to the 5th. Maybe I am getting too old but I think they could have had a little more thought and respect to have it on the 11/11.”
The post on social media has since attracted dozens of comments
Rachel Wibrow said that Ely Fireworks is always later so it doesn’t clash with Wilburton’s firework display.