Mayor backs Olympic role
ELY S mayor Cllr John Ison arrived by boat to pay his first official visit to the Isle of Ely Rowing Club on Sunday. As an active supporter of the 2004 Diamond44 celebration of the 1944 Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race rowed in Ely, he was keen see the prog
ELY'S mayor Cllr John Ison arrived by boat to pay his first official visit to the Isle of Ely Rowing Club on Sunday.
As an active supporter of the 2004 Diamond44 celebration of the 1944 Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race rowed in Ely, he was keen see the progress made by one of the legacies of this event.
The club's evolution has been strongly influenced by a recognition of the lack of facilities for the local community on a stretch of water ideally suited to rowing.
Members come from a wide cross-section of the community, some enjoying rowing as a recreational sport whilst others take part in competition events.
You may also want to watch:
At the elite athlete level, the club acts as host to the Amateur Rowing Association's World Class Start scheme, which identifies and develops young international and Olympic hopefuls.
Since taking office, the mayor has been very active in promoting Ely in the context of the 2012 Olympics and he was therefore particularly interested to see this aspect of the club in operation.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
The mayor will be a guest of the club at the Ely 'Classic' Regatta to be run in conjunction with the Ely Perspective Group on Saturday June 24 from 12 noon to 6 pm.
Further details of the Club and Regatta may be obtained from Derek Pickersgill, 01353 659306.