Manhole covers stolen in Witcham
POLICE are appealing for information after several manhole covers were stolen in Witcham.
Offenders are believed to have worn high visibility vests to pretend they were workmen legitimately removing the covers between 6pm on Monday (February 21) and 9.30am the following day.
The covers were stolen from the High Street.
Inspector Robin Sissons said: “This was a brazen theft in a busy street and I would appeal to anyone who sees men removing manhole covers and not replacing them to contact police.
“Not only does this type of crime cause inconvenience to motorists and the local council, but there are also severe safety implications. A vehicle could sustain significant damage if it was to drive over one of these holes and there is also the danger of pedestrians falling into an uncovered manhole and injuring themselves.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with any information should call police on 0345 456 456 4 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 4 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 5 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 6 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 7 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 8 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 9 Fire crews called to stables building blaze
- 10 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside