Mandela theme for Amnesty International Ely
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Amnesty Group is screening ‘Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom’ on Saturday, October 1, at the Lecture Theatre, The Old Palace.
The film stars Idris Elba and Naomie Harris, and chronicles Nelson Mandela’s life journey from his childhood in a rural village through years of imprisonment until he became the first democratically elected president of South Africa.
The group chose the film to tie in with its annual lecture.
Paul Joseph, the long-term friend and political ally of Nelson Mandela, will be speaking at Ely Cathedral on October 16.
Doors 6.30pm for 7pm screening.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets; £6, from Burrows Bookshop, 9 High Street Passage, Ely, or from www.wegottickets.com/event/370948.
Money raised will go towards Amnesty International’s human rights work.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse