Manchetts’ Gemma raises almost £3,000 for Whizz Kidz charity ahead of London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
The assistant manager of Manchetts Rescue and Recovery will pull on her trainers to run the London Marathon this month - despite never being a serious runner before.
Gemma Manchett, 25, who works at Manchetts in Newmarket, was inspired to take part after watching last year’s marathon with friends in London.
She decided to apply for a space and won a place running for Whizz Kidz, a charity that provides mobility equipment for disabled children.
She has so far raised £2,909.37 in sponsorship money.
Gemma said: “I have never been a runner before so this was a big challenge for me.
“It was really hard at first – I had to start from scratch just running for a couple of minutes at a time with walking breaks in between.
“Now I have just taken part in the Silverstone Half Marathon and I am feeling confident that I will make it around the London course on the day. “I haven’t set myself a time target – I just want to finish the race without walking if I can manage it.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
“I know my family and friends will be there to cheer me on so they will keep me going when it gets tough.
“I’m so proud to be running for Whizz Kidz – I know the work they do is amazing and many children rely on them to be able to enjoy the best chance in life.”
Gemma, who is the fourth generation of Manchetts to work in the family business - which has an office in Burwell - has received sponsorship from colleagues, customers and the company.
To sponsor Gemma visit https://whizz-kidz-london-marathon17.everydayhero.com/uk/gemma