Manchetts’ Gemma raises almost £3,000 for Whizz Kidz charity ahead of London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
The assistant manager of Manchetts Rescue and Recovery will pull on her trainers to run the London Marathon this month - despite never being a serious runner before.
Gemma Manchett, 25, who works at Manchetts in Newmarket, was inspired to take part after watching last year’s marathon with friends in London.
She decided to apply for a space and won a place running for Whizz Kidz, a charity that provides mobility equipment for disabled children.
She has so far raised £2,909.37 in sponsorship money.
Gemma said: “I have never been a runner before so this was a big challenge for me.
You may also want to watch:
“It was really hard at first – I had to start from scratch just running for a couple of minutes at a time with walking breaks in between.
“Now I have just taken part in the Silverstone Half Marathon and I am feeling confident that I will make it around the London course on the day. “I haven’t set myself a time target – I just want to finish the race without walking if I can manage it.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
“I know my family and friends will be there to cheer me on so they will keep me going when it gets tough.
“I’m so proud to be running for Whizz Kidz – I know the work they do is amazing and many children rely on them to be able to enjoy the best chance in life.”
Gemma, who is the fourth generation of Manchetts to work in the family business - which has an office in Burwell - has received sponsorship from colleagues, customers and the company.
To sponsor Gemma visit https://whizz-kidz-london-marathon17.everydayhero.com/uk/gemma