Man Who Punched USAF Airman In Kebab Shop is Ordered To Pay Compensation
DRUNKEN Ashley Moodliar punched a member of the United States Air Force during a fight in Ely city centre. Moodliar had met the serviceman at a kebab house in the early hours – and when they went outside, Moodliar hit Jake Cottle. Mr Cottle was punched i
DRUNKEN Ashley Moodliar punched a member of the United States Air Force during a fight in Ely city centre.
Moodliar had met the serviceman at a kebab house in the early hours - and when they went outside, Moodliar hit Jake Cottle.
"Mr Cottle was punched in the face by the defendant four times in rapid succession," prosecutor Laura Mardell told Ely magistrates. "He suffered a cut to his lower lip and a headache."
Moodliar, 20, of City Road, Littleport, admitted using threatening or insulting words or behaviour towards Mr Cottle, Jason Searight, Chelsea Nobles, and Philip Cantley, during the incident on September 5.
You may also want to watch:
"Moodliar was aggressive towards Mr Cottle," said Miss Mardell. "Before Mr Cottle had the chance to walk away, he was punched in the face.
"CCTV footage showed him taking a fighting stance and being aggressive towards Mr Cottle and his group of friends."
- 1 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 2 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 3 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 4 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 5 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 6 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 7 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 8 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 9 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
Solicitor Lowri Roberts said Moodliar did not remember assaulting anyone, but accepted that CCTV showed him kicking out and behaving "in a generally aggressive manner."
She added: "He is disgusted and embarrassed by his behaviour, but does not remember throwing any punches, he was intoxicated."
The CCTV footage showed there was some verbal provocation from the other group, added Miss Roberts.
"He had a little too much to drink that night and got involved in a fight, he should not have done that."
Moodliar was ordered to pay �200 compensation to his victim, and was fined �180 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge.
*Two Ely people facing the same charge of threatening behaviour, Liam Donnelly, 21, of Beresford Road; and Ladell Franklin, 20, of High Barns; had their case adjourned for two weeks.