Man sold cannabis at home
DRUG dealer David Barnett sold thousands of pounds worth of cannabis from his Sutton home to fund his own habit. Police raided Barnett s property earlier this month and found a large quantity of the drug, alongside scales and bank statements showing large
DRUG dealer David Barnett sold thousands of pounds worth of cannabis from his Sutton home to fund his own habit.
Police raided Barnett's property earlier this month and found a large quantity of the drug, alongside scales and bank statements showing large cash deposits.
Barnett, 38, told police he usually sold between £500 and £1,000 worth of the drug each month, but sometimes that could increase to £2,000 worth.
"Because of mental health issues he resorts to the use of cannabis to assist with his depressive condition," solicitor Michael Judkins told Ely magistrates on Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
"He told police he sold the drug to friends and associates from his home, it was never a commercial operation outside the house.
"He purely supplied cannabis to people known to him, people came to his home. It was not to make a profit, but to fund his own use of cannabis. He was simply receiving proceeds to fund his own purchase of the drug."
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Barnett, of The Southerns, Sutton, admitted possessing 105.9 grams of cannabis on March 5 with intent to supply, supplying cannabis in Sutton between June 1 last year and March 4 this year, and possessing 12.5 grams of cannabis on March 5.
"Police officers got a warrant and went to his property, and he was co-operative," said prosecutor Emma Dmitriev. "A large amount of cannabis was found in his car, and in the living room they found a smaller amount."
Barnett had a £125 a week habit, he told police, and admitted he had sold £100 worth of the drug the previous day.
Mr Judkins said the cash deposits found in Barnett's bank account included "a little extra than normal, to cover Christmas."
Barnett was committed for sentence to Cambridge Crown Court and was given unconditional bail.