Man rescued by fire-fighters following Stretham blaze
A MAN had to be rescued by fire-fighters after his cooking caught fire at home in Stretham.
Fire crews from Ely, Soham and Burwell were called to a fire at Lazy Otter Meadows shortly before 7.30am on Friday.
Fire-fighters discovered a wooden structure, about 12 metres by six metres, on fire and managed to rescue a man from the flames, though the cabin was destroyed.
An investigation revealed that the fire was accidental and caused by unattended cooking.
Brett Mills, watch commander at Ely said: “When we arrived the fire had been burning for some time. Firefighters worked hard to prevent the fire from spreading to an adjacent cabin.
You may also want to watch:
“This fire was caused by unattended cooking and it has destroyed a home and put a life at risk - this is a reminder of the dangers of leaving cooking unattended, even for a moment.
“If you do discover a fire do not put yourself at risk - get out, stay out and call 999.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
“I’d like to thank the neighbour who spotted the fire, dialled 999 and guided crews to the location of the fire - his actions enabled us to get to the incident quickly, and every second counts in a fire.”
For more information on cooking safely visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk