Man jailed for assault
A MAN who gave his ex-partner a black eye and then resisted police who tried to arrest him has been jailed for 23 weeks. Lawrence Cardwell, 20, punched Nicola Barton in the face after the couple had been out drinking in the city. Police went to arrest him
A MAN who gave his ex-partner a black eye and then resisted police who tried to arrest him has been jailed for 23 weeks.
Lawrence Cardwell, 20, punched Nicola Barton in the face after the couple had been out drinking in the city.
Police went to arrest him, but when they tried to take his cigarette away, he struggled and pulled away.
"Because of the size of him he was taken to the ground and put in leg restraints," Ely magistrates were told by prosecutor Angela Sassoli on Thursday.
Cardwell shouted and threatened to head-butt an officer, and when he was put in a vehicle he continued to be aggressive and abusive. A police officer suffered two cuts to his ear during the struggle.
Cardwell had previously denied assaulting 18-year-old Nicola Barton and a police officer. But before his trial was due to start on Thursday he admitted assaulting his former partner and resisting the officer.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
"He had met his ex-partner purely by chance outside a pub in Ely," said Mrs Sassoli. "They try to keep in contact because they have a child, and they had a drink together."
The couple argued on the way home, she said, and as Miss Barton sat on a bench, Cardwell called her a bitch and punched her in the face.
Mitigating, Sandeep Kainth said Cardwell and Miss Barton had drunk "a fair amount" before the incident and got into a "heated discussion." The injury to the officer had been accidental.
Cardwell, formerly of Soham but now living in Lancashire, was ordered to pay £150 compensation to Miss Barton, £100 to the police officer, and £150 costs.