Man, 24, jailed after hitting girl, 12, with car when fleeing petrol station to avoid paying £17
- Credit: Supplied/Cambs Cops
A man who knocked a 12-year-old girl off her bike after speeding off in his car to avoid paying £17 for fuel at a petrol station has been jailed.
Jacob O'Dell struck the girl in his blue Ford Fiesta at Coldhams Lane in Cambridge on September 28 and narrowly missed the girl's 11-year-old friend.
Despite knocking the girl off her bike and onto the ground, the 24-year-old continued driving while other motorists rushed to help her and call paramedics.
A court heard how the girl was left with serious injuries.
After identifying O'Dell as the driver, officers began searching nearby villages for him and the vehicle.
He was found in the Fiesta parked at Cottenham Village College just after 6pm that evening.
He spotted officers and rammed their car in an attempt to escape but was arrested before he could get out of the vehicle.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Ely Road closed as pedestrian hit in Littleport
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 6 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 9 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
- 10 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
O'Dell, of Howard Road, Cambridge, was jailed for three and a half years and was handed a five-year driving ban, to begin when he is released from prison.
He pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, dangerous driving, criminal damage and making off without payment at Cambridge Crown Court on January 17.
DC Craig McPherson said: "O'Dell showed absolutely no concern for the 12-year-old girl when he knocked her off her bike at speed, which left her with serious injuries.
"Not only that, but when he was later found he again tried to get away, ramming a police car with no consideration for the wellbeing of those inside."