Man, 24, jailed after hitting girl, 12, with car when fleeing petrol station to avoid paying £17
- Credit: Supplied/Cambs Cops
A man who knocked a 12-year-old girl off her bike after speeding off in his car to avoid paying £17 for fuel at a petrol station has been jailed.
Jacob O'Dell struck the girl in his blue Ford Fiesta at Coldhams Lane in Cambridge on September 28 and narrowly missed the girl's 11-year-old friend.
Despite knocking the girl off her bike and onto the ground, the 24-year-old continued driving while other motorists rushed to help her and call paramedics.
A court heard how the girl was left with serious injuries.
After identifying O'Dell as the driver, officers began searching nearby villages for him and the vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
He was found in the Fiesta parked at Cottenham Village College just after 6pm that evening.
He spotted officers and rammed their car in an attempt to escape but was arrested before he could get out of the vehicle.
- 1 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 2 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
O'Dell, of Howard Road, Cambridge, was jailed for three and a half years and was handed a five-year driving ban, to begin when he is released from prison.
He pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, dangerous driving, criminal damage and making off without payment at Cambridge Crown Court on January 17.
DC Craig McPherson said: "O'Dell showed absolutely no concern for the 12-year-old girl when he knocked her off her bike at speed, which left her with serious injuries.
"Not only that, but when he was later found he again tried to get away, ramming a police car with no consideration for the wellbeing of those inside."