Man Had Been Drinking Heavily Before He Assaulted His Wife, Court Heard
KIM Cornwell had been drinking heavily before he got into a row with his wife and assaulted her, a court heard. After slamming a glass of cider on to work top, he lunged at Angela Cornwell, grabbing her round the throat, causing scratches to her neck. He
KIM Cornwell had been drinking heavily before he got into a row with his wife and assaulted her, a court heard.
After slamming a glass of cider on to work top, he lunged at Angela Cornwell, grabbing her round the throat, causing scratches to her neck.
"He held her quite hard, she had trouble breathing," prosecutor Laura Mardell told Ely magistrates.
"He went to punch her, but she ducked and it did not connect. He threw cider over her. He was briefly shut out, but banged on the door and was let in because it was feared he would break the door down."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Cornwell was left shocked and upset by the incident, and on Thursday Ely magistrates awarded her �150 compensation for the alarm and distress she suffered.
At an earlier hearing, 48-year-old Cornwell, of Newmarket Road, Stretham, had admitted assault.
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 8 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 9 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
After reading a report from the probation service, the magistrates ordered Cornwell to attend a domestic abuse programme as part of his 12-month supervision order with the probation service. He must pay �60 costs.